At Sheffield, we not only want our research to be world-leading, but we also aim to put out knowledge into practice locally.
The university has invested an equivalent £3.8 million (UoS, 2010) to reduce energy use by 15-20% and CO2 emissions by 1.68 million kg per year (UoS, 2009) through a strategic partnership agreement with Schneider Electric.
A University of Sheffield Environmental Policy was released in 2009 (UoS, 2009), including the following targets:
- By 2015/16 carbon emissions will be reduced by 10% from 2005/6 baseline
- Energy and water consumption will be reduced by 10% over 5 years
- 10% of university-produced waste would be recycled by July 2009 (in 2009/10, over 82% of waste from the university as recycled (Estates, UoS)
- Maintain the current level of 72% of staff travelling to work sustainably
- 70% of construction, demolition and excavation waste to be diverted away from landfill by July 2010
- Environmentally responsible procurement policy and guidelines to be produced by July 2009
The policy also sets out that sustainability will be incorporated into the curriculum wherever appropriate, sustainable alternatives to single-occupancy car travel for commuting will be encouraged, business travel will be reduced or sustainable alternatives encouraged, all new builds and major refurbishments will aim to achieve BREEAM “Excellent” rating and legislation will be met for pollution with further reductions aimed for.
In order to achieve the reduction in carbon emissions from 33,000 tonnes of CO2 per year by 20% by 2016-17 (UoS and Carbon Trust, 2008), the university has set out a Strategy and Implementation Plan in collaboration with the Carbon Trust. The strategy and implementation plan sets out the above policy points in more detail.
University of Sheffield (2010) ‘University Embarks on £3.8 million green mission’ available from http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/1594-1.173941 [last accessed 21st June 2012]
University of Sheffield (2009) ‘The University of Sheffield Environmental Policy’ available from http://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.4675!/file/Environmental-Policy-Aug-2009.pdf [last accessed 21st June 2012]
The University of Sheffield, Carbon Trust (2008) ‘The University of Sheffield Carbon Management Programme Strategy and Implementation Plan’, available from http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.4667!/file/Carbon-Management-Programme-SIP-2008.pdf [last accessed 21st June 2012]
Estates and Facilities Management, University of Sheffield ‘Recycling’ available from http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/hs/environment [last accessed 22nd June 2012]