Broad, structured and comprehensive training
Our students will gain a comprehensive overview of the factors that affect the energy industry as well as developing a specialisation through their individual energy-related research projects. By developing a comprehensive research and training strategy, our students will deliver on research challenges inherent in making the change to a sustainable energy future and capitalise on the opportunities arising.
PhD graduates of E-Futures will possess a world-class, industry-focussed skill base equipping them with problem-solving and leadership expertise well beyond a conventional PhD project. The structured programme and stimulating methods of engagement will produce internationally competitive doctoral graduates that can engage with today's diverse energy issues and contribute to the development of a high level knowledge-based UK manufacturing sector.
- Combine teaching and research expertise to deliver significant added value to the traditional PhD programme, with a leading focus on developing the skills and knowledge base required by academia and industry.
- Provide a structured, dynamic research environment where students gain a broad knowledge base of the subject and a greater strength in core skills.
- Train students in research skills, advanced techniques, and adaptive and flexible problem solving in the context of a relevant research project.
- Challenge students and promote independent problem-solving, as well as exposing students to industrial innovation, exciting new science and the international research community.
- Expose students to a greater depth of transferable skills training, to better prepare them for leadership, management and team working roles in academia and industry.
Our industry-focussed approach will not only produce graduates with the leadership potential so highly valued by industry, but also the new and exciting science, engineering and innovation critical to the UK in maintaining a competitive manufacturing base. In turn, this will significantly enhance the UK's global competitiveness by supplying cutting-edge knowledge and highly trained personnel into all sectors of the industry.